Tuesday, September 22, 2009

It's An Abdominal Strain, Yay!

Got a quick visit to the doc (ARNP, actually) yesterday, and she says it's just a mild abdominal strain, no apparent hernias. For paranoia's sake she's going to do some blood work. Apparently the pancreas is in there on that side, for example. I was super worried that since I had had a hernia already that I might be predisposed to more, she says that's not the case.

When she palpated the abdomen the super sore spot was the spot in the upper left that wigged out on the run. Some mild soreness in other places but nothing serious.

She said "take it easy" and to "use my best judgement" as to when I start running again. I'm going to try to be a mature adult, and not just an endorphin addict. :) I'm going to try a slow 3 miler on Thursday. I seem to be getting better each day, so better safe than sorry.

Trying not to plan the rest of the year until I know better how long this is going to take to heal. I'm thinking that if can run Thursday, I'll spend some as yet unknown amount of time running every other day, possibly increasing my mileage as it progresses. We'll see what that means for Carkeek and Seattle. It may mean that I place my speed goals on the back burner and simply finish each one, assuming my abdominals cooperate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That's one strain I've never had. Most strains heal rather quickly though, so hopefully this one will too.