Tuesday, September 8, 2009

9/6 Medium Long Run

On the road a touch earlier to account for the extra mileage. But not much. :) Got started around 6:45. Around 55 and a light rain. Headed out around Mill Creek, the 'right' direction. :) For whatever reason, this is the direction I prefer on this route.

Not that it helped. :) Apparently, dinner the day you run 11, before you run 14, should be something more significant than half an Auntie Anne's pretzel, and 10 Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip Nibblers. :) My Mom was over visiting and kicked Val and I out on a date to see Harry Potter. Scheduling messes with lunch, movie times, etc meant that we ate poorly. :)

First 6 miles or so were right on pace (9:11/mile average) (with 2 a touch over (downhills)). About mile 4 or 5 I started fighting a cram in my left hip flexor (again), that lasted for 3 miles or so. And then I hit the wall. And slowed down. :) Which probably helped the hip flexor, come to think about it.

If I had brought nutrition, I might have been able to fuel my way out of it, but I haven't needed it for the 10 milers, and didn't figure I'd need it for this run. Not only that, all the GUs were up in the closet in the guest room, and waking my Mom up didn't seem very nice. :)

Bruce pointed out that in addition to fueling issues, the cold and wet may have affected things too, by increasing my need for fuel to stay warm. Good lesson in preparedness. That being said, even after the bonk, I was able to stay in the target range for long runs (9:04-10:04), so that's good. :) Last 8 miles averaged 9:36/mile.

14.22 miles in 2:14:04 (9:25/mile) @ 155 bpm

No comments: