Saturday, September 12, 2009

9/12 Medium Long Run

Don't remember what the excuse for not running Thursday was, but I deferred it till Friday. Than on Friday evening, after fighting with my iPhone for an hour trying to get it synced and some new tunes loaded, I realized it was 9:45. And I still needed to run. And I needed to get up at 6 so I could do my Saturday run.

So I bagged it. And then decided that to heck with it. If I can't my mileage during the week, I'll just do it during the weekends. So Saturday is 14 now. :) Sunday might be 17 instead of 14, we'll see.

Go out a little late between waiting for my intestinal tract to wake up, and then fiddling with Training center and Sports Tracks trying to decide if I should try a slightly different route. On the road at mid 60s at about 6:45.

The first 5 or 6 miles of the run weren't the most fun I've ever had on two legs. Hard to keep my pace, shins ached, just off my feed. But once I crossed some threshold, my shins stopped sniveling and everything started working properly. Ran through Mill Creek backwards, and had to do the upper loop twice, which was kind of neat since they are finally finishing the paving and sidewalk on Seattle Hill Road, so I got to watch some of that as I ran by.

Last two miles I sped up, as I seem to do on most of the long runs. I decided to not fight it and just let it flow. I thought I was running close to GMP (Goal Marathon Pace) for those two miles (8:45, 8:40). Not so much. Actual GMP is 8:34. Maybe next time. :)

Hauled a long a couple of GUs, but didn't need them. Probably not drinking enough on the run, I'm coming back in with bottles with water in them. A lot of it is related to the need to pee at mile 7. :)

14.2 miles in 2:09:55 (9:08/mile) @ 153 bpm

Been pretty tired today, both from run and long week, so it's been pretty lazy. Lots of playing outside, and I took Kaitlyn with me to Borders to pick up the new book "The Runner's Body", by the guys who do The Science of Sport blog. Also snagged "the New Rules of Lifting" (we have NROL for Women for Val, great book on strength training. Also picked up a copy of Total Immersion, for when I get back into the swimming thing.

No comments: