Friday, September 4, 2009

9/2 Run

This was a brutally unpleasant run.

I totally misjudged the amount of recovery I'd need from Tuesday's run, and ran this as an 'Easy' Run (9:04 - 9:34). Then I decided that since I missed a training run at Carkeek and all of it's hills, I would make sure this was nice and hilly.

I hate not knowing my route, and this turned into a slog as I tried to add mileage, while uncomfortable and wanting to quit.

My shins screamed at me from the start of the run, and only stopped whimpering about 4 miles in. I took Thursday off to try to appease them and it appears to have helped. I think it's a combination of mileage, shoes, and being out of whack. My back is arching oddly, and something I read recently pointed me to to being a poor core strength, over-strong hip flexor issue. I'm stretching my calves to relieve some of the pressure on my shins, and starting to do planks again to try and get my form back into whack.

So. Lesson learned. 10% rule good. Stretching good. Core training good. RECOVERY runs (10:00 - 10:34) after Tempo runs REQUIRED!

6.13 miles in 57:11 (9:19/mile) @ 153 bpm

Only 40 more feet of elevation than my regular loop, just a bigger hill right in the middle. :) Don't know if I'll run this route again. Maybe if I just double up in the middle and do the hill twice.

No comments: