Wednesday, April 15, 2009

4/15 Crappy Run

Most runs, especially lunch runs, brighten my day and make me feel hardcore and like I'm doing something good for myself.

Not today.

This run sucked. I'm still fighting a cold/flu, and I'm sure that's a huge amount of it, but my HR was way out of whack, and I had to walk a great deal to keep things under control. Very demoralizing. I don't come back from many runs wanting to throw something...

I had planned on doing more to make up for missing Tuesdays run, something like 10, but there was no way I could justify that at the pace I was running at, especially after having been out of work so long. And 12:15 a mile. Really? Run more?

Ran the two blocks after I stopped the clock, trying to shake out some kinks and get back to the office in something resembling a reasonable time. Probably should have tracked it, but, meh...

Running the last 10 days has been seriously squirrely. Kaitlyn came home with a fever of 102 last Tuesday and didn't go back to daycare till Wednesday of this week. Val ended up with both a viral and a bacterial infection and is now on antibiotics, flonase, and some Vicodin for 2 days for the excruciating head pain. And, not surprisingly, I've got some sidewash of all that misery. Here's rooting for my immune system and it's normal ability to keep me mostly healthy. :)

Between being sick, and horrible eating this last 10 days, I'm up close to my panic weight of 180. I'm considering refocusing my efforts back onto weight loss, especially since I'm not beating my body up with intense runs. Just a lot of miles. We'll see how that pans out. It's amazing how fast it start to add up when you budget calories for a run , then don't run. And then don't stop eating the next day. Back on the wagon...

The big thing this session borough up for me is another question about HR vs. Pace based training. OK, I'm sick. And that means my HR is up because my body is working harder to heal itself. Does that mean my AT/LT change too? I don't think they're tied necessarily, HR is an 'indicator' of where the AT/LT is, right? What about if you were just overly caffinated and your HR was up?

49ish, cloudy/hazy/foggy when I left, really cleared off while I was out.

6.09 miles in 1:14:41 (12:15/mile) @ 140 bpm
splits:
1 - 11:44 @ 141
2 - 12:39 @ 140
3 - 12:21 @ 140
4 - 12:39 @ 140
5 - 12:29 @ 140
6 - 11:45 @ 140
0.09 - 11:24 @ 145

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last time I had the flu it took me awhile to feel normal while running. Don't push yourself to go too fast or be too hard on yourself. It's hard to have a good run while sick.

Run For Life said...

That's always frustrating but it was good you didn't push it. I hope your wife and daughter are feeling better and you don't catch what they have - that sounds brutal.