Friday, August 22, 2008

I Can Run Again!!!

Had my 3 week followup with the doc yesterday at 1100. What was probably the worlds shortest doctors appointments, he asked how I was feeling, looked at the incision, poked at it a few times and started to send me on my way. When I asked if I could run he gave me a look like 'Of course, you idiot', before he said; "no problem, and any thing else you want to do, if it hurts don't do it. "

I got home at 1145, and managed to wait till 3:15 before I went out for a run. A glorious, ache, twinge and bile filed run. God it felt good. I didn't realize I've made running such a part of my routine that I felt like there was a little black hole somewhere until it got filled again. A very pleasant 3 miles in 27:05. 65 degrees and sunny, so a very nice day to start it back up. I managed to miss all the 80s and 90s of the last few weeks. :)

I expected aches and pains in my legs. What I got was aches an pains in my chest, neck , shoulders, etc. Apparently I've been carrying a little tension that I only dump by running. Also I think my diet and stomach have gotten a little relaxed. Nothing like a run full of bile and heartburn. What a nice run. (I'm going to have to remember this when I'm asking myself what the eff I think I'm doing in the next few weeks.)

If next week goes well as I ramp back up I think I can get back onto Hal Higdon's program where I left off, at week 6, and be able to get the 20 mile I didn't think I would get.

I haven't posted often during my recovery because of time, and because every time I think I have an insightful or witty comment I can't seem to either remember it long enough to get it written down, or I can't translate it to paper adequately. Something to work. Practice running by running, practice writing by writing, I suppose.

Val has been working out for the last few months, and invited me to go to her second assessment since she started . the first was done when she started to get a feel for her condition so they could create a plan for her. She did amazingly well and I'm really proud of her. As we have joked about for a while, she dusted me when we go t home though. She had me do the pushup and crunch evaluation she had to do. She did better in both. Chicked by my own wife. :) going to have to do 100 pushups starting next week, and see what I can find for core workouts. I'm a little sore today between that and the run. Saturday's run should be interesting. :)

Moving into my short list of companies with cool and/or amazing customer service are the fine folks at nuun. They found my blog entry commenting about the kona kola flavor and are going to send me some other flavors to try. They go on the list with Lee Valley, and a handful of others.

My diet the last few week has been a disaster. I've definitely put on a couple more pounds that I'm going to have to work off. I realized that with no goal and no running I was being immature an saying just eff it all, instead of working on what I could. I think I'm going to adjust my target weight down to 160 from 165 and get to work on the 10 pounds I need to lose to get there. I'm still making training for the marathon a priority, so I'm not anticipating any fast progress, since I'm going to need the calories.

I do the occasional (very occasional, lately) bit of woodworking, and the link to Lee Valley has made me lust for their newest skew Rabbet Planes. Drool...

Good Running everyone!

2 comments:

Tim Wilson said...

Aaron,

Great to hear you are back at it. It feels so good to get a good run in once you haven't run for a while.

I just started back this week, but can't get back up to the speed or distance quite yet.

Great job, and good luck with your training for the marathon!

Laura said...

Welcome back to the running world! Hope it becomes completely pain-free soon.